On October 8, 2021, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) released the 2022 Star Ratings for Medicare Advantage (MA) and prescription drug plans. Thanks to the extensive COVID relief from CMS, including the “better of” policy that allowed plans to use their best scores from as far back as 2018, MA plans saw a huge boost in performance with 68% of MA-PD plans rated 4+ Stars.
These special circumstances have raised a multitude of questions for plans. Is my score artificially inflated? How can I sustain improved performance? Where should I be focusing in 2022 given the new measures on the horizon? Healthmine's Star Ratings and quality improvement experts set out to answer these questions (and many more) in our 3-part 2022 Star Ratings Webinar Series, which took place throughout November 2021. If you missed the sessions, you’re in luck! We have all three recordings available for you to watch at your convenience.
Hosted by EVP of Consulting and Professional Services Melissa Smith and two of Healthmine’s Senior Consultants, Cynthia Pawley-Martin and Dwight Pattison, this webinar series covers the sweeping changes coming to the Star Ratings program, including major regularity updates and best practices for plans moving forward. These informative, 60-90-minute webinars are available on-demand for anyone who wants to get a richer understanding of the industry while preparing themselves for 2022. Read more about what you’ll learn in these sessions below and enter your information on the right to watch now.
Preparing for 2022: Technical & Regulatory Star Ratings Update
In the kick-off webinar, Preparing for 2022: Technical & Regulatory Star Ratings Update, our three expert hosts guide viewers through the complex technical changes that impacted Measurement Year (MY) 2021 and will be coming to the program in MY2022. Watch this insightful start to our webinar series to hear industry experts discuss the major updates from CMS including:
- The top sources for information about the Star Ratings program to keep bookmarked and on your radar for the latest news and updates
- A calendar breakdown of how measures are changing, including an in-depth look at which measures will impact MY2022
- A deep dive into the Plan All-Cause Readmissions (PCR) and Transitions of Care (TRC) measures, both indicators of a renewed focus on discharges and follow-up care
- How to interpret the updated guidance from CMS regarding rewards and incentives (R&I) for MA plans, including a new definition of “Qualifying Individuals” for incentive programs
2022 Star Ratings Update: Current Landscape & a Look to the Future
During the 2022 Star Ratings Update: Current Landscape & a Look to the Future, Melissa, Cynthia, and Dwight return with an in-depth discussion of 2022 Star Ratings and the current state of the industry. Throughout their talk, they outline the most pressing issues facing MA plans today and what you need to know to be successful in the coming year. In this session, you will hear expert insight into:
- How to interpret Star performance in the midst of COVID-19 relief and what to expect from a significant national increase in ratings
- CMS’ expectations for health plans to utilize digital engagement and activation in CAHPS reporting and care gap closure strategies going forward
- Steps health plans can take to fulfill CMS’ focus on health equity
- How policy changes may accelerate “Stars suppression” over the next few years
Ask Me Anything: Q&A with Star Ratings Experts
In our final session, which was an "ask me anything"-style Q&A, Melissa, Cynthia, and Dwight tackle the biggest questions from the audience about Star Ratings in a live Q&A. The conversation covers everything from calculating the TRC measure to how to reduce health inequity, with some of the highlights including:
- For Transitions of Care (TRC), will there be four separate Star measures for each component or one Star Rating with the average of the four indicators? How does the “measure math” work on TRC?
- Clarification on the changes to Diabetes Care measures (HBD, EED, BPD, KED, and SPD) for 2022
- Will the MPF Price Accuracy measure move off of display or be retired?
- What are CMS’s targeting requirements for rewards and incentives?
- How does the new formal definition of “Qualifying Individual” from the CMS regulations on rewards and incentives in MA impact targeting and messaging around incentive programs?
- Additional information on the impact of EO13985 “Advancing Racial Equity and Support for Underserved Communities”
Complete the form on the right to gain access to the recordings for all three of these insightful webinars—and be sure to bookmark the page so that you can replay those sessions any time!